How to assemble a portable mini-greenhouse for an apartment or a summer residence
Thanks to the greenhouse for seedlings or vegetables and herbs, you can grow healthy products even in the north. And in the middle and southern latitudes, the crop can be obtained more than once. True, not everyone has financial opportunities and a place for a large greenhouse. In this case, a mini-greenhouse will help out, which can easily be transported to the cottage and moved around the site to any place. Its plus is that you can make a mini-greenhouse simply and quickly yourself.
The necessary conditions
The main conditions that must be observed are:
- Good light access;
- Access to plants;
- Providing ventilation;
You can install a mini-greenhouse even in an apartment on a glazed balcony or loggia. Additional lighting may be required.
Types of Mini Greenhouses
Mini-greenhouses are conventionally divided into several types depending on the materials used, sizes, shapes and purposes:
- Frame - the majority of such greenhouses, and they are the most convenient. They are made of any material, they require little cost. You can grow them as seedlings, and greens with vegetables;
- Bread bins - similar in shape to a bread box. It is made so that it can be opened from one or two sides. It also grows mainly seedlings, flowers or greens;
- Thermoboxes are an insulated system with opaque walls. It is equipped with lighting systems, watering, maintaining temperature and humidity;
- Shelving - they save space, as plants are installed in two or three tiers. They are placed on a balcony or loggia, as an interior decoration. So indoor flowers are grown, but also greens with seedlings;
- “Wigwams” are simple street greenhouses reminiscent of an Indian wigwam. They can be carried and used for various purposes. For example, to cover young trees or bushes of tomato and pepper in bad weather.
You can do any of the listed types of greenhouses yourself by applying the remains of building materials for this: glass, polycarbonate, wood, metal, plastic pipes, rods. First you need to present the future mini-greenhouse in detail, but it’s better to draw it on paper, calculating how many and what elements will be needed.
It is assembled from plastic pipes, and the coating is ordinary film or polycarbonate. From the remnants of the boards, a wooden box of the required sizes is made. The bottom is covered with a fine reinforced mesh and penetration of small rodents. It is desirable to strengthen the corners of the greenhouse with metal corners. PVC pipes are screwed on the outside to the sides of the frame. A removable frame is hinged on one side of the box. The pipes are covered with a film on top.
It looks like a bookcase with shelves from any available materials. The height and dimensions of the whatnot are selected independently, so that it is convenient to carry. A cover made of a film or transparent material with a zipper is pulled over the greenhouse. You can work with plants and ventilate the mini-greenhouse simply by unzipping the zipper.
Suitable as the cheapest or one-time model. For it, you will need 1 long wooden beam or metal profile pipe, thin rods and a plastic bag. A bar or a pipe is stuck in the center of the earth, and around a radius of 50 cm stick rods, the upper ends of which are connected to the main support. You can put on a bag without a bottom. The bottom of the bag is pressed on the ground with stones, and the top is fixed around the beam. This design can be moved from place to place, but for watering and top dressing, you must open the bottom of the "wigwam."
It is worth making any of the mini-greenhouses once, then to use it for several years, delighting yourself and the family with environmentally friendly early products.